When you take to the road in and around the Houston area, you’re well aware of the fact that you’ll be sharing space with trucks and other commercial vehicles.
There is nothing wrong with this, as it’s all part of driving in a busy city, however, a mistake by a trucker could cause a serious accident that puts you in a compromising position.
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you should become familiar with the most common causes of truck accidents. This can go a long way in helping you avoid trouble on the road.
Here are a few things to keep in mind at all times:
- Not all truckers receive the proper training, meaning that they are unsure of what to do in certain situations. It’s important for truckers to receive training regarding safety concerns and driving technique.
- There are many types of reckless driving, including but not limited to speeding and changing lanes without signaling. Any of these things can cause an accident, especially on the highway. You might not even realize that your accident was caused by a reckless truck driver.
- Did you know that some trucking companies set unrealistic schedules, leading truckers to spend too much time on the road and/or drive in a hurry? Trucking companies can behave negligently and be just as responsible as the truck driver for your accident.
These are just a few of the many things that can lead to a truck accident. Being aware of these causes can help you avoid trouble.
If you find yourself involved in a truck accident, you need to take these three steps:
- Receive immediate medical treatment, even at the scene. Do not refuse treatment. Now is not the time to show how tough you can be.
- Learn more about the cause of the accident, when you’re able to do so. If possible, have a friend or someone at the scene gather the names of witnesses, write down license plate numbers and take pictures.
- Focus on your legal rights, with an eye toward receiving compensation from the negligent party.
Taking these three steps will allow you to better understand your accident and what will happen in the future. An injury, along with other types of damage, may put you in position to receive compensation.
This is why you will want to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. With legal help on your side, you can avoid mistakes that hinder your ability to obtain compensation.