Drunk driving is a serious issue throughout the state of Texas. Law enforcement agencies do all they can to stem this issue, but the sad fact of the matter is that too many people make bad decisions. Here are some tips for spotting drunk drivers on the roads of Texas so you know how to avoid them before tragedy strikes.
Some of the most common signs of a drunk driver include the following:
– Quick acceleration or deceleration
– Weaving across the road
– Drifting in and out of lanes
– Driving on anywhere other than a designated road
– Turning illegally or abruptly
– Driving at night without headlights
– Erratic braking or stopping for no reason
– Signaling when it is not consistent with travel
– Nearly striking another vehicle, object or curb
– Driving slower than 10 MPH under the posted speed limit
– Driving into opposing traffic on the wrong side of the road
– Sudden stop or delayed start when near traffic signals
– Straddling the center lane lines
If you notice a driver exhibiting any of these signs, he or she might be driving under the influence. If so, there are some things you must do. The first is to stay as far away from the driver as possible so as not to risk being involved in an accident. Never try to pass the vehicle or signal to the vehicle that it should pull off the road.
Try to note the license plate and any and all details about the vehicle as possible. Relay this information to a 911 dispatcher. Do not compromise your own safety trying to obtain this information. When you call 911 make sure you have the exact location of the vehicle, including the name of the road.
Drunk driving accidents are all too common on the roads of Houston, Texas. If you or a loved one has been injured by drunk drivers, contact our firm to discuss your case and the next steps to take.