As you drive in and around the city of Houston, it goes without saying that you will be in close proximity to many other vehicles.
Even when you do your part in remaining safe and avoiding trouble, a motor vehicle accident can happen at any point, usually catching the victims completely off guard.
Here are some of the top causes of a motor vehicle accident:
- Distracted driving – Even with laws in place to protect against this, it remains a major problem on American roads.
- Drunk driving – This has been, and probably always will be, one of the top causes of motor vehicle accidents in the United States.
- Reckless driving – This takes on many forms, from speeding to failure to stop at a traffic light.
- Inclement weather – In Houston, this can mean many things, such as heavy rain and strong winds.
- Nighttime driving – Accidents are more likely to happen at night for a number of reasons. Impaired driving is more common during evening hours. Fatigue and failing night vision contribute to many vehicle accidents after the sun sets.
- Tailgating – There is never a good time to drive closely to the vehicle in front of you. Even if you avoid this behavior, it doesn’t mean that others will do the same.
When you understand the top causes of a motor vehicle accident, it’s much easier to avoid trouble on the road. There is no guarantee that you will never be part of a crash, but you can always do your part in remaining safe.
If you are struck by another car, regardless of the reason, you should take these steps:
- Move your car to safety, such as the shoulder of the road.
- Call for immediate help, including an ambulance and the police.
- Receive medical attention as to better understand your injuries
- Learn more about your legal rights.
Your health is more important than anything else, but you should always remember this: There will come a point when you want to learn more about your legal rights with the idea that someone else may be held responsible for the accident. This could lead you to receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.