Unfortunately, drivers of passenger vehicles play a large part in accidents involving large trucks. Driving safely around large trucks is an important component when it comes to avoiding accidents. A large percentage of accidents with large trucks end fatally due to the sheer weight and size of semis. Following these safety tips can help you avoid accidents and save lives.
We understand how important safe driving is to prevent accidents and have helped many of our clients with their cases.
Tips for preventing big truck accidents
According to FindLaw, the following tips are best practices for remaining safe around big trucks.
- Avoid driving in a truck’s blind spots, where they cannot see you
- Do not move to the right of a truck making a right turn
- Do not change lanes suddenly in front of a truck. The driver may not be able to brake in time.
- When turning left in front of a truck, make sure to judge the distance appropriately
- Do not drive in between two large trucks
- Avoid any actions that cause a truck driver to brake suddenly
- Always give big trucks plenty of room to turn
- Merge safely into traffic around big trucks and do not follow them too closely
- Be sure to speed up or slow down appropriately so that a truck may merge or change lanes
Truck accidents often end up fatal
When it comes to accidents with big trucks, it is often people in passenger vehicles who are fatally wounded. 67% of fatalities involving large trucks were in passenger vehicles at the time of the accident. Only 16% of fatalities involved people riding in the truck at the time. It is important to exercise caution when driving around large semi-trucks to keep everyone safe.