Many people who live in the Houston area enjoy riding their motorcycle. They have many months of good weather where they can ride their motorcycle to work, to the store, or just for fun. Most of the time a motorcyclist can share the road safely with other vehicles but occasionally serious motorcycle accidents occur.
There are many reasons why a motorcycle accident can occur. No matter what the reason, a motorcycle accident is often serious due to the lack of protection motorcycles have compared to cars and trucks. Here are some seven of the main reasons a motorcycle accident occurs.
- Unsafe lane changes. A motorcycle risks colliding with a vehicle if the vehicle does not check their blind spot or use their signal before changing lanes.
- Driving under the influence. When a driver gets into their vehicle after they have been drinking, they put their lives and everyone else that they meet on the road’s lives at risk.
- Distracted driving. When a driver uses their cell phone, changes the radio station, turns to talk to back seat driver or engages in any other distracted driving activity they can cause a serious accident.
- Sudden stops. When a vehicle makes a quick stop it can result in serious injuries or even death for a motorcyclist.
- Left-turn accidents. When a vehicle makes a left turn in front of a motorcyclist is a common cause of a motorcycle accident.
- Car doors. A motorcycle accident can occur if a driver opens their door when a motorcycle is driving by.
- Dangerous road conditions. Debris on the road, crumbling pavement, potholes, and lack of necessary signals can all be dangerous for motorcyclists.
If a person has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident due to no fault of their own they may want to speak with a legal professional who is skilled in personal injury. An attorney can help their client understand their legal rights and hold the negligent party responsible for their mistake.